In my earlier post, Writing Goals (for Now), I set some tentative goals for what writing-related activities I’d like to do:
- Work on a new full-length children’s novel I haven’t discussed before on this blog. It may or may not involve spies.
- Research cool time periods in history for Adventures with My Time-Traveling Uncle. (Currently considering: assassination of John Lennon in 1980, ancient Mayans, and the Boston Tea Party, and the French Revolution.)
- Lead a multiwriter story project for a Doctor Who fan group I administrate.
Side goals (aka the ones I don’t really know if I’m going to do at all):
- Edit Secrets in Seaport one last time due to some minor typos that were brought to my attention only now.
- Make Secrets in Seaport available in eBook format(s). (I’d make the aforementioned edits before doing so.)
- Participate in Camp NaNoWriMo.
Well, I did fix the minor typos in SIS that I intended (but then I found two more miniscule but, to me, glaring, errors *facepalm*). Lesson learned: if I truly want to self-publish professional quality books, I really ought to invest in having a professional editor’s guidance for at least part of the way, because self-editing really isn’t my strength.
I also participated in Camp NaNoWriMo, and found it to be an enjoyable experience. I was invited to join a wonderful “virtual” cabin with good company of both old and new friends, and we’ve been having a grand, old time just hanging out, kvetching about our goals, and giving each other encouragement as we each work towards them.
With regards to my main goals, I am making some progress with Adventures with a Time-Traveling Uncle. So far, Kimberly and Daniel are hanging out with the ancient Mayans, trying to find Uncle Jake. I have a bit of a crazy idea for how they’re going to find him. Mwahahaha!
To tell you the truth, most of what I know about the Mayans, I picked up while playing a Nancy Drew PC game, Secret of the Scarlet Hand. I mean, I did learn about them in school, but they didn’t make it quite as interesting as Nancy does. But here’s another idea – maybe Jake will upset the sitting Mayan king and get locked away in a monolith or something. Kimberly and Daniel will have to save him!
Well, that’s where I am so far. Have a great weekend, folks!
P.S. This blog was originally to showcase a lot of my old writings. I still do post new materials from time to time, but I realize I post more about my writing process than post the actual fruits of my writing labors….