I was wondering, if my stories had theme songs, what would they be? Here are some ideas off the top of my head:
- Premonition – “These Dreams” by Heart. The title, especially, is quite relevant, and the sound of the music captures that mysterious, uncertain, and adventurous tone I want my story to have.
- The Phoenix, an Indiana Jones fanfic – “The Map Room at Dawn” by John Williams, from the Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack.
- My X-Men fanfic project (still in planning stages) – “Butterflies and Hurricanes” by Muse. It just works for all the emotionally tense and/or action scenes inherent in any good superhero story.
- Adventures with My Time-Traveling Uncle – The theme song would have to be a Beatles song, preferably one of their more whimsical, upbeat early hits. The eponymous uncle in this story, Jake, is supposed to be a major Beatlemaniac. He’s essentially a red-headed lookalike of John Lennon, right down to the tea-shade glasses. When I wrote the first draft of this story, I listened to a lot of classical renditions of Beatles songs from this album by the Orlando Pops Orchestra. While it would be hard to designate one Beatles song to be the theme song, I’d say that entire album would have to be the soundtrack.
- Elite Falcons: Hunted – This sounds so sacrilegious, but right now, I’m thinking “Captain Jack’s Theme” or the “Torchwood Theme” from BBC’s Torchwood score would fit this story. Or, to be on the safe side, how about the Mission Impossible theme, since this story is supposed to be about spies?
Maybe I’ll do another post about character theme songs. I wish I were able to compose them myself, but I’ll go through my repertoire of music sometime and see what associations I can make with my various book characters.